Applying from Out of Province

You must be licensed with the regulatory body in the province in which you work. Therefore, if you practice in Nova Scotia as a dietitian or nutritionist you must be licensed with the Nova Scotia College of Dietitians and Nutritionists (NSCDN).

The Application Process

  1. Retain your membership in the province where you currently live until you are licensed with NSCDN.
  2. Apply to NSCDN.  Do not submit payment*, transcripts, verification of internship or exam results. Do submit proof of citizenship, verified ID, criminal record check with vulnerable sector check, and liability insurance documentation. 
  3. Contact the regulatory body where you are currently licensed and request that they send NSCDN the Labour Mobility Form.  This confirms that your registration in good standing.  They will also send NSCDN copies of your credentials. The regulatory body where you are currently licensed may charge a processing fee.  
  4. New registrants will be required to start NSCDN's Continuing Competency Program (CCP) upon registration.  Information about your obligations with NSCDN will be emailed to you.

Application Checklist

Email rThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions or to schedule an in-person or telephone appointment.  NSCDN will respond to your email within two to three business days.  Should your application be denied, you may appeal the Registration Committee’s decision within 30 days of written notice. 

*Section 6 of the Patient Access to Care Act (2023) states: “An authority may not charge any fee respeciting an application for registration or licensing if the applicant is currently registered and licensed in the same profession in another province of Canada or any other jurisdiction prescribed by the regulations."